GTRI VIDEO HISTORY:
GTRI "The Solution Institution"

75th anniversary video
The history of GTRI is one filled with intrigue, innovation and impact. Learn about GTRI's exciting past, present and future. View video
FEATURES

GTRI's Modern History

Check out some of the problems GTRI experts have solved over the past 12 years.Case studies
Read all about it

Read all about it!

News releases, research magazines, employee newsletters and more - dating back to the 1950s.Publications

Share Your History!

GTRI wants your stories, documents, photos, videos and other historical items. Share them today!Tell us your story

Herschel H. Cudd


Herschel Cudd, director of EES, 1952-1953.

Download>

Herschel H. Cudd was appointed director of the EES in July 1953, after serving as acting director since November 1952. Although he stepped down in November 1953, his administration made far-reaching changes to the EES--many of which are part of GTRI's corporate culture today.

Station Financing

Cudd addressed financing of the EES, brokering a deal that would give Georgia Tech 13/46 of overhead, the contract organization--now Georgia Tech Research Coporation--would recieve 10/46, and the EES would receive 23/46 to cover administrative costs.

Something for Everyone

Cudd also expanded the research from a few concentrated researchers to include 66 faculty in 15 schools performing research at the EES in 1952-53. He also changed the promotion system for researchers--one that is still in use by GTRI today.

Many researchers held the rank of professor, despite lacking a doctorate, or comparable qualification, as determined by the Georgia Board of Regents (BOR). The new system, approved in spring 1953, used the BOR's qualifications for promotion and mirrored the academic tenure track. Research engineers, now defined as "adjunct members" of the General Faculty, were excluded from the Faculty Senate.

Cudd resigned in 1953 to become vice president and manager of Research and Development of the American Viscose Corporation. In 1960 he became head of the AviSun Corporation.

From 1963 to 1974, Cudd was president of Amoco Chemical Coporation, a subsidiary of Standard Oil, of which he was also a director. He was senior vice president of the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. when he retired in 1982.

Early Years and Contributions

He graduate from Texas A&I University in 1933 with a degree in chemistry. He received his master of arts in analytical chemistry in 1936 and his Ph.D. in physical chemistry in 1941 from the University of Texas. From 1934 to 1937 and from 1939 to 1940, he was a part-time instructor of chemistry at the University of Texas.

He intially was appointed head of the Chemical Sciences Division of EES in March 1950, and previously served as director of the Lantuck Division of the West Point Manufacturing Co. While at West Point, he utilized his experience studying the use of synthetic resins in textile engineering, which led to West Point's fabric, "Lantuck." Up until he came to the EES, Cudd managed production and sales of the fabric.

Cudd died in March 1992.

 

For more, visit the Wikipedia article on Herschel H. Cudd.